I can still remember when I was first introduced to meditation. I thought what the heck is this and how is it going to help me. I am never going to be some monk sitting cross-legged singing the praises of OM! What is an OM anyway?
In case you really are wondering it is actually hard to define. OM is a sacred sound and a spiritual icon. It is used as a mantra in meditations and can reflect things such as the soul or the self within, ultimate reality, the entirety of the universe, truth, divine, supreme spirit and cosmic principles. Wow, that’s a lot for a little word, maybe there is something to this. I better check it out.
So what’s in it for me? Well it turns out there are many personal benefits to practicing meditation. Check out this article from Art of Living.
With meditation, the physiology undergoes a change and every cell in the body is filled with more prana (energy). This results in joy, peace, enthusiasm as the level of prana in the body increases.
On a physical level, meditation:
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- Improves the immune system
- Increases the energy level, as you gain an inner source of energy
Mental Benefits of Meditation
Meditation brings the brainwave pattern into an Alpha state that promotes healing. The mind becomes fresh, delicate and beautiful. With regular practice of meditation:
- Anxiety decreases
- Emotional stability improves
- Creativity increases
- Happiness increases
- Intuition develops
- Gain clarity and peace of mind
- Problems become smaller
- Meditation sharpens the mind by gaining focus and expands through relaxation
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger and frustration
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress
- The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings perfection
Meditation makes you aware – that your inner attitude determines your happiness.
Other Benefits of Meditation
Emotional steadiness and harmony
It cleanses and nourishes you from within and calms you, whenever you feel overwhelmed, unstable, or emotionally shut down.
Meditation brings harmony in creation
When you meditate, you are in the space of vastness, calmness and joy and this is what you emit into the environment, bringing harmony to the Creation/planet.
Meditation can bring about a true personal transformation. As you learn more about yourself, you’ll naturally start discovering more about yourself
So after some research it became quite clear this was something I needed to learn and do, but how. It seemed like such a big deal. More research ahead! Stay tuned for Meditation for newbies on our next post.